Thursday, October 3, 2013

Diary of an Ex-Urban Yogini

 I have just returned from leading my 7th Yoga Retreat at Sky Meadow Retreat in Stannard, VT....way up north, think Canada. Just like in yoga (3 parts of the om, three gods, etc,.) I enjoyed the beginning, middle, and end equally; the drive into Cambridge, seeing old friends, realizing in just 3 months Cambridge and I have split and just like getting over a breakup, I found myself in the acceptance stage.  No hard feelings, no longing to be back, no tears.  I think I surprised myself to be quite frank.  I expected much more fanfare from my parts that spent so much time in this little city. (13 years).  Instead I found a new appreciation for my new home.  The overpowering sound of crickets and cicadas at night.  The glimpse of the bold red cardinal here and there out my kitchen window.  The sea and the quiet. The space inside my home which is just right.  This is my life now. 

As I drove to Vermont, I found more beauty and wonder in the changing of the leaves and found myself exclaiming to myself "how beautiful is this?"  and why am I not living here?  I promise myself a life in the mountains before I die.  I find it incredibly grounding.   The truth is, I was never supposed to end up in Cambridge, MA.  I landed there for school and to follow my sister who I have since become much less dependent on in the last 5 or so years.  I have truly risen above the idea that I can not make things happen for myself and by myself.  This retreat was a display of re-assurance to myself that yes, I can do it! 

The importance of retreating can not be overlooked.  Each one I find reminds me how vital it is to get out of your usual environment and step into the arms of nature.  The sounds of wind blowing through trees, the power of meditating with others in the morning, eating delicious nurturing and healthy food, practicing yoga and being kind to your body/mind.  Taking time to reflect on how you are practicing life.  

I hope that those who do not have a retreat practice will set aside at least 2-3 x per year to get away and do this for themselves.  Save your money from going out for drinks, eating out, fancy products you don't need, clothing that will be boring in a few weeks and come on retreat.
The next one is November 8-10th weekend at Sky Meadow.  www.yogawithnatalie.net for mor info!

Til next time...
Natalie

No comments: