Saturday, July 20, 2013

Eating Right: Cooling Down with Local Farm Fresh Food!

Yesterday I took myself out for the day.  I was on a mission for fresh farm food; think watermelon, arugula, peaches, organic lettuce from the farm.  Well, I got all of that and then some.  Check out my journey below.
 Most people who know me, know that I am a pretty decent cook.  I find that working with food comes very natural to me and I'm inspired by the simplest of foods paired together. I'm particularly interested in colorful simple meals. I find that the more simple the recipe is, the more room for flexibility and creativity. Just like yoga, if you start with the easiest version of a pose, you'll never go wrong.  Here are some inspirations to cool you down as the heat continues to rise into the deep 90s.

DINNER 
Watermelon, Arugula, and Feta Salad w/Balsamic Glaze!
On my way out to Wine and Farm Country yesterday, I picked up a gorgeous watermelon and some peppery arugula at Schmitt's Home Grown in Riverhead and by the time I got home, I was eager to get in the kitchen and whip up this simple yet elegant summer salad.  You can't go wrong with this one.  I had some grilled tuna rolls w/avocado and lime vinagrette on fresh bread from the Blue Duck Bakery so this dinner was decadent and very summery with the Tuna and Lime and sweet watermelon.   To make the salad you simply cube some watermelon, layout some fresh arugula, and top with the watermelon cubes and some Feta cheese.  Reduce Balsamic Vinegrette on high heat to about 2 tbsp and drizzle over the whole thing. Enjoy!


After dinner I enjoyed a delicious bar of chocolate and some Oyster Bay white wine while I watched some TV with the A/C and fan blowing directly at my skin!

Breakfast
Watermelon and Strawberry Smoothie
I like to start every day with coffee and a breakfast smoothie in the summer. In the winter, I might change to hard boiled egg and banana or yogurt and granola but in the summer I just want to cool down!  This morning I took advantage of the whole watermelon from Schmitt's farm and made a Watermelon and Strawberry Smooothie.  How refereshing!  It's light, so hydrating, and gorgeous to look at.  I recommend using frozen whole strawberries, this way your smoothie will be COLD just like you want it during a heat wave!


I'm on my way to pick some blue and dark purple hydrangeas from the yard, and continue a gorgeous day!

No comments: